Saturday, September 5, 2009

Daddy's turn.

You may notice a difference in the way this particular update is written. I (the dad) have decided to take over my wife’s blog duties for today, and you never know, I may decide to do this on a weekly basis. Amy loves to talk, write, tell stories, and most of all talk. So, my posts might not be as much fun or informing but I will do my best. This will be a text only posts to make it that much boring.

Well, what to talk about… I could continue where my wife left off and tell you about Linc’s swim lessons and his time at my parent’s house, but what fun would that be. I will let Amy update everyone on the daily stuff. Since this is my first post I guess I should talk about how it has been for me over these past 18 or so months.

Overall, it has been a rollercoaster. Ok here is where it gets cheesy. I am going to compare my experience with a rollercoaster. Stop me if you have heard this before. Bringing Linc home for the first time was like starting off on the ride. You are going up and up and up and you are not sure what to expect. Everything is exciting and you are happy to have a healthy baby boy and a handsome one at that. You are high on life and excited that you decided to go on this ride.

But now we get him home and we start over the hill and zoom straight down into chaos at 70 mph. All you can say is “Oh @#%$!” My memory goes a little blank as to all the small things that went wrong or was unexpected, but I can tell you we were heading straight into parenthood as soon as we went over that hill. I am still having fun at this point, but now I start to question what did I get my self into. I must have been nuts to get on this ride.

Now that you have passed that steep hill the ride throws all of these twists and turns and spins you upside down, but you realize… Man this ride is a blast. Yeah it has its scary moments but they were only scary because you did not know what to expect. You start to enjoy everything about the ride. You like the slow parts you like the fast parts and you start to appreciate the unexpected parts.

The unexpected parts are your favorite parts. Every time Linc learns to do or say something new it makes me proud and feel so fortunate that I am a part of this little man’s life and that he is a part of mine. Every time he runs up to me at day care and gives me a hug or smiles at me when he’s happy or gives me a sloppy kiss on the cheek, it just melts my heart.
Well the ride is not over, not by a long shot. I am still in the twists and turns so I guess I have to hope to never get off the ride. I really am blessed to have such a wonderful kid and also a beautiful and equally wonderful wife (trying to score some brownie points). All kidding aside, she is a great wife, friend and mother and I very joyful that she decided to spend the rest of her life with me. I promise to talk about more manly stuff in the next post unless you girls tell my wife I need to post more of this Lifetime TV stuff.

1 comment:

nbrawley said...

Craig- I loved your post! Seriously, I love how you compared parenthood to a rollercoaster ride. You hit is dead on!!!! Not to mention I never knew you had a sensitive side (just had to through that out there). Hopefully I can get Philip to post soon.