Monday, April 26, 2010

Race For The Cure

This past Saturday we walked Race for the Cure.  It has been a tradition of Jennifer and I to run it every year in Fort Worth.  We are both ZETA's and it is our philanthropy(breast cancer), so it has always been something we like to participate in.  This year I almost forgot about it with all that has been going on so I did not remember to sign up.  No worries, Jen signed up and had extras for Craig and I, so we decide to go. 

It was a great day for the race, nice and cool but warm in the sun.  We loaded Linc up and took him to my parents for my dad to watch him, he was excited.  This year the race had a bit of a different meaning for me and for Jen.  Jen's Husband, Mike, had a close friend die this past year.  While it was not from breast cancer, she did have it before she died and was very young.  Her name was Sara Sullivan and she had just given birth two weeks before she passed.  You can read her story here and keep up with how the father and daughter are doing now, he is so strong.  While I did not know Sara, it hits close to home because she was close to my age, was a new mother and one of Mike's friends (it was his sisters best friend growing up).  I also walked in Celebration of Carmen Gaume (Paula's Step-Mother).  She overcame breast cancer and is now a survivor, go Carmen.

The race was packed with over 14,000 people, pretty amazing for downtown Fort Worth. They had some amazing sponsors, my favorite wholly guacamole.  We started the race about 8:30, but didn't get to the start line until 12 minutes later, it was so packed.  Since we walked it this year, it took us a much longer time to finish.  We finished the total race in 1 hour and 9 minutes, dang that is long, but that is ok.  Because of where the baby is sitting, if I bend over I feel like I will pee myself, haha.  So even light jogging was out of the question.  We still had a blast and had a lot of time to chat, which was great.  This year we brought the hubby's along, so here we are with Mike and Jen after the race.
Here is Jen's mom and her friend Pat with Jen and I.  They also walk it every year and made it back before we did, so we must have been going slow, haha.
We had a great time and hopefully next year I can run it again. 

Blog Signature

4 comments:

nbrawley said...

Looks like you guys had a good time! I'll have to do the run one of these years. I am glad you posted the link to your friends, friend (or whatever's) page. It was somewhat therapeutic being able to read someone else's story.

Jenn said...

Thanks for posting the link to the Sullivans. Theirs is a blog that I was following for a while and then lost the link (not sure how I found it in the first place?!) Anyway, I was happy to read about sweet Chloe and her brave Mama and Daddy. Thanks friend!

The Jungs said...

Wow! I stayed up until almost midnight last night reading the Sullivans blog! I couldn't stop until I read it start to finish! What a strong Daddy he is! Way to go you for walking in the Race For A Cure!

Amy G said...

I am glad that blog all touches you. I know the story continues to move me. He is so strong and brave.