Friday, April 2, 2010

Ear Tubes Take Two!

I know it is normally said that third times a charm, but I hope in this case it can just be second.  On Thursday, Lincoln went in for his second set of ear tubes.  He got his first pair in January of 2009.  Those worked well for a while, except one ear always seemed to clog up.  
About 3 months ago, he started to get ear infections again.  It seemed like he would get one, we would medicate it and then he would get it again 2 weeks later.  Finally I think his body just got use to all the meds and they were not helping anymore.  He finally got a really bad ear infection and it lasted 3 weeks.  They tried everything to get rid of it, and it just would not go away.  
Our doctor sent us to the ENT that did his last tubes and he decided within 2 seconds of looking at him that he needed a second set.  Since we had been through it before, I was not worried about the operation.  It takes all of 5 minutes and then 10 in recovery before we can see him.   
Here he is at 6am getting ready for surgery at Cook Children's.  I love the little gown they give them.



The thing that worried me the most was when he wakes up.  Last time he screamed and was really scared when he came out of it.  They had someone comforting him, but it was a hard few days afterwards. 

This time was a bit different.  I was prepared for the screaming (not all kids do this, so no worries if you are getting this done).  And the kid next to him got a popsickle, but they did not give him one and would not give him anymore juice, so he was super mad.  After we got him in the car and got some breakfast down him, he was much better.  

He fussed a bit for the rest of the morning, but we could tell he was tired, as was I.  I laid down for a bit and Craig put Linc down as well.  Linc and I woke up about 2 and half hours later, and he was a different child.  It was like nothing had even happened that morning.  He was happy, wanted to play and seemed like he felt good.  It was very different from last time.  

I hope that this time the tubes work better.  I know sometimes you just have to wait for the child to grow up a bit so that the canal will get in the right position, and I hope that will be soon for him.  I have had problems with my ears all my life and I hope that is not the case for him.  It makes fun hobbies like scuba diving near impossible.  Anyway, thanks for the many uplifting thoughts, he did so great!

Blog Signature

No comments: