Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mom's in DC

My work hosts what they call Bootcamp in DC every few months for new employees. Since I have been working there over two years, you can see this is a trip I have been putting off. I have been asked to go so many time I finally decided that I better get it over with. The reason I have not wanted to go is that the training is in DC, it is a week long and my family was not able to go.

Sunday I was off to DC early in the morning so I could be here in time for the opening reception. I was lucky to have some people from my office on this trip. Once we arrived we all decided to take the metro to get to the Ritz-Carlton. Of course, we ended up going the wrong way, but we realized soon and turned around and got to the hotel in no time. I have never stayed in a Ritz hotel and it is so nice. My only complaint was that they charge you for internet, haha.

We had a small reception on Sunday, and then the real training started on Monday. They are serving us breakfast everyday, but Monday they also served us lunch. This is worth mentioning because it was so awful, haha. They served us curry chicken, curry rice and curry vegetables. It was like the cooked the meal, didn't like how it looked and poured a whole bunch of curry sauce on it. I know everyone has different tastes, but I would say the majority of this room (of over 100 ppl) did not like the lunch they decided to serve us. I would think that if you are going to serve a big crowd, you would go for a more bland choice, but who knows. Lets just say I am glad they served dessert afterwards or I would have had to go buy something, haha.

Anyway, I will get off that rant and move on to more important things. Man do I miss my family. I have really been so much more busy here than I ever am at home with a small child. Since Linc goes to sleep at 7 every night, I mostly have the evening to relax. Here I don't get back to the hotel room until almost 9 at night each night and I am exhausted. I am glad I got this opportunity, and I hate to say this (b/c I am still young), but this trip is for young people, haha!

Today we got to visit our Central Office to see where our headquarters are. Here I am with some people from my work and one person from San Francisco that I met a few months ago.

My dad has been filling in for someone up in DC at Central Office for about 3 months, so I went up to his office to see where he works. He decided to take me out on a mini tour to see the White House and a few other things. This is a picture of the place that the diplomats stay at when they come to visit the White House.

Here is my dad at the White House.


Back of the White House.

Front of the White House.

Washington Monument.

It was fun to see these historic places and tomorrow I will get to go to one of the famous museums.

I can't believe that tomorrow will be Wednesday and I will only have two more days before I can see my family, I am so excited. It is so hard to leave Lincoln, especially when he changes so much every day. I imagine that he even looks different. It would be nice if Craig could send me a picture of what he is up to, wink wink! Love you boys!
Blog Signature

1 comment:

nbrawley said...

Im glad we are both out of town - too bad we aren't a little closer though. Friday will be a great day for both of us!!!