Friday, June 18, 2010

Project - Kennedy's Room - First Steps

Check out the latest few posts!

My friend from grade school came in town last week and I was so excited to see her.  Jenny just had a little girl in January and this was the first time I got to see her.  They live in New Mexico and they call her Milly, so cute.  She is really the best baby, I hope mine will be close to this.  Here is Milly!

While Jenny was in town, I took advantage of her skills in sewing.  I really wanted to make Kennedy's bedding and room decor.  I wanted it to be unique and special, but I knew it would be a big undertaking.  Both Nancy (Jenny's mom) and Jenny were willing to help. 

We started off by buying all the fabric and boy can that get expensive.  I think the fabric alone was more than I payed for Lincoln's full bedroom set, haha.  The first task we tackled was the bed skirt.  You never know what all goes into bedding until you get into it.  We did a ruffled skirt, so I had to cut 8 pieces of the fabric, sew them together, stitch twice at the top, gather it, sewing to the top part, hem and the list goes on!!  It came out great, but was a lot of work and some parts had to be taken out.

Currently I am working on her bumper pads.  Of course I chose a harder design, so it has taken a bit and I couldn't use a pattern for it.  Which means I had to use my creativity to make it all work!

First I did her monogram.  Doing it on black minky proved to be hard, but looks great.
Then I cut out the black and white toile and pink minky and sewed it all together. 
I did this twice, but the other does not have the monogram on it.  Then I cut out the rest of the pieces.  It was a lot of cutting.  I am now working on the batting and then it will be back to Nancy's for her to help me finish it up.
So far it is coming together great and I can't wait to see the finished product.  I have to order her crib and paint her room and...well the list goes on and I better get busy!

Blog Signature

No comments: