Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kennedy Mae Gabbard is Here!

Kennedy Mae Gabbard made her appearance on September 8, 2010 at 7:09pm.  She weighs in at 8lbs and 2oz and is 22 inches long.  Lets back up and see how she made her journey here.

As I said in my last post, I was to be induced on 9/8 at 7:30 am.  I kept saying how much I wanted to go on my own and the night before I felt like I was having contractions.  So I called Niki up, since she has gone into labor on her own with all kids, to ask her what it felt like.  It was different than with Lincoln and they were lasting a long time, like a 1 minute each.  I ended up having regular surges for an hour but then they went away.  It got both Craig and I excited and it was hard for us to sleep that night.

The next morning we got ready and took Lincoln to school.  We ended up being late to the hospital and I didn't really get anything to eat before.  Once we got settled in they hooked me up to the monitors and saw I was already having contractions, they were just not regular.  So who knows if what I was having the night before was false labor or just the very early stages of labor.  Either way, they started my pitocin drip at 9am.  Here I am after getting in my gown and all hooked up.

It took a while before I could really feel anything, and when they checked me the first time I was a loose 2, so I had a ways to go.  My mom showed up later that morning and gave me one of the best foot massages I have ever had!  My midwife broke my water around 11 and I started to feel surges around noon.  Then I started to use my hypnobirthing tactics.  Paula showed up a little past 2 and started to help rub my back.  Here she is while I am sitting on the ball.  I know I look really unhappy in this picture, but I was still fine at this point.
I kept getting checked every 2 hours and each time I had progressed 2 more centimeters.  My midwife said if I wanted an epidural, I should get one early since they normally don't work past a certain point.  Well once I got to a 6-7 I could not concentrate anymore and my contractions were so close, sometimes I would get 3 in a row without a break.  By that time I was looking for some relief so I asked for an epidural.  Little did I know I was too late at that point.  She tried to put in in twice, thought she got it and left the room.  I kept saying it was not working, that I could still feel everything. 

At that time they checked me and I was close to a 9 and so they said it was probably not going to work, I was too far a long.  Dang, haha!  So 7pm rolls around and it is shift change time for the nurses.  My new nurse walks in and decided to check me.  She does not even tell me what I am and just says to push, so I did!  She says I am ready and that I can practice push to get through the contractions, which did help.  Seems like the counter pressure made the contractions more bearable.  My midwife came in and we pushed through 3 contractions and she was out!  While I did feel everything, I enjoyed this experience more than with Lincoln's birth.  It was quicker on all accounts and I felt like I was more in control.  My mom also got to be here this time and was so happy to be a part of Kennedy's first minutes in the world.  It was great to have the support of both my husband and mother, very special!  Here is our baby girl fresh out into the world!
You can see that she is a big girl!  Looks at those cheeks.
My 8 pound girl!  She has light brown hair and gray eyes for now.
Here we are with my midwife.  She is the best and also delivered Lincoln as well.
Happy parents of a new baby girl.
That night Paula, my brother, Ginger and Ryan came up to see her.  Here is Ginger holding a girl for the first time in our family.  We have lots of boys, and now she is the first girl!  This was also pre bath, so she is still all red!
We had a good first night in the hospital.  I was able to walk down to see her get her first bath along with Paula and Craig.  The next day we had a slew of visitors!  I guess I was not as camera happy this time because I did not get everyone's picture with her.  Craig's parents brought Lincoln up to meet her.  All he said was he wanted his Mommy, aww.  Niki and her kids where up at the same time, so he just played with them the rest of the time.  My parents came up again around lunch to see her.  Then Jennifer came up and here she is with Jen.
Lara stopped by a little later.
She brought these pretty flowers!
Maria also stopped in later on.  We decided to stay another night so I could heal a little more in the hospital.  Here I am with my sweet babe.
So cozy!
Thursday and Friday I was lucky to have my neighbor as my postpartum nurse.  She discharged us Friday afternoon.  Here she is all snug in her carseat.
We are so trilled to have our little girl in our arms.  This pregnancy went by so fast that I sometimes wonder where the time went.  It is kinda sad to not have my big belly anymore, but I am so excited to watch her grow up before me!  I love you little K Mae!


Blog Signature

No comments: