Monday, May 21, 2012

MOM Blocks - A Mother's Day Gift

For Mother's Day this year, I wanted to do something special.  I wanted to do more than just get my mom a gift card somewhere, which is perfectly fine, but I have done that for so many years I think it was time for a change.  I had searched around for ideas and found a picture of blocks with photos on them that spelled out mom.  There were no instructions, but I didn't think it could be that hard, so off to Hobby Lobby I went.  I looked around for something square and had a hard time finding anything.  Lucky for me I have a handy husband that had left over mdf board from when he made Lincoln's bed.

You will need: 3 wooden squares, 1 piece of scrapbook paper, 2 paint colors (one for outside and one to write on the blocks with), large paint brush, small paint brush, mod podge, 3 5x7 photos of your choice

Here's how I made it: 
1. cut three equal size squares, around 4 inches.
2. paint all 4 edges with the color of your choice, I chose black.  

3. cut out three pieces of scrap book paper the size of the block.
4. put mod podge (MP) on the block and lay the scrap book paper over it. 

5. MP over the paper and on the sides to make sure it stays down, wait for it to dry.

6. trace your pictures to the size of the block and cut them out.

7. MP on the block that does not have the scrap book paper on it and lay the picture on top.

They should look like this.

8. MP over the pictures and let them dry.

9. pick out your second paint and paint the letters M-O-M around the pictures.  This worked well for me since I have just one brother.  The picture on the left is he and my mom (he is the older sibling).  The one in the middle is of him and I now.  The one on the right is me as a baby.  This is what the finished product should look like from the front.

This is what one of the backs look like.  The MP give the pictures a nice hand painted look. 
Simple, but so cute, right!  My mom loved it and she put it up in her office.  The funny thing is that they think the first picture of her holding my brother is me, I guess we really do look a lot alike.  Love you mom!

Blog Signature

No comments: