Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Prove It!

If I have learned one thing in the past month it is to appreciate my man even more. Craig has been out of town 3 times in the last month and a half and it seems I am always having to prove to myself that I can handle things when he is away. I know I can handle the normal day to day while he is away, it is the unusual that scares me. Something strange always seems to happen when he is away.

Over the summer it was the air going out for a whole weekend while he was gone. I had to call the air people, learn how to defrost the air conditioner and then get it started back up. It is always something, while never extreme, it is always an annoying situation that is better handled by him or both of us together.

Well I think this week tops it off so far (although having no air in the summer really sucked). Craig headed to Cali on Monday for business and I had the day off (thank you government and Columbus). I took Linc into school so I could get some errands done. I felt an ear infection coming on so I first heading into the ENT. While waiting to be called back, the receptionist asks me to come around the corner and informs me that my car had been hit in the parking lot and that I needed to meet the police down there. Of course Craig took my car to the airport so I was in our brand new Suburban at the ENT! I go down there to find that our 2 week old car has had the bumper knocked clear off on one side. I started to cry, it does not even have the tags yet! It was a hit and run, but they found the guy since they had cameras in the parking lot. This is something Craig would normally deal with. But I had to call his insurance and an adjuster and a body shop, oh man it takes a lot of work to get a car fixed.

Tuesdays I get a call from Linc's school that he has a fever and I need to come get him. I can't get him an appointment until 4:30 that afternoon and then we are there until 6:30, thirty minutes before his bed time. The doctor says he has a respiratory virus and send us home with no meds. About 7pm Linc starts to act so sleepy he can't even eat his dinner and I find out he is burning up. He ends up having a 104 temp and so I have to call everyone to find out how to get it down. We are so blessed to have such great family because I was out of meds to get his temp down so my dad went and stocked us up. It would have been hard for me to do that with Linc since he was in no shape to go anywhere. Craig's mom came by too to check on him. If Craig where here we could have taken care of it, but on my own I was worried I was not doing the right thing.

Needless to say it has been an overwhelming week and it is only Wednesday! I can't wait for Craig's return, because then things will turn back to normal. This kind of stuff only seems to happen when he is gone. It is like someone wants me to prove that I can do it on my own. I will say that I can handle things, but not entirely on my own. I can handle it because I have the great support of my family. Both of our mom's know what it is like to be in my situation since our dad's traveled a lot when we were young. They both say that anything that can happen will happen when the men are away so just prepare!

I just don't know how single mom's do it, but I know they do. I think it would be different if that was the way I was raised or if that is how I raised Lincoln. I guess I have been spoiled by a great husband and partner and all I want now is for him to come home. We love you Craig!

On a funnier note, I think Linc is ready for a little sister, haha, just watch!

Too bad it will be a while before that happens. But isn't he good a feeding Avery, I was so impressed. He is such a good little boyfriend.
Blog Signature

2 comments:

nbrawley said...

You have had such a bad week! And you are right, it always happens when Craig is out of town. But you can do it! You have already proven that you can. But it is soo much nicer to have the hubby around. Thank goodness for grandparents too. I know I rely on my parents A LOT and am soo thankful that they live 15 min from me.

nbrawley said...

Oh and I need to get a copy of that video - it cracks me up every time I watch it.